Can you imagine life without friendship?
I hope not.
Friendship is surely one of the most important features of human life. Yet at the same time, it’s a strangely neglected theme in Christian teaching.
That’s why we’ve chosen the theme of friendship for this year’s Emmanuel Conference.
We’re delighted to welcome as our main speaker Colin Duriez, author of C. S. Lewis: A Biography of Friendship and J. R. R. Tolkien and C. S. Lewis: The Story of Their Friendship.
Colin has featured in several TV productions, and is in great demand as a speaker, having appeared at the 2013 Desiring God conference in Minneapolis. He is currently working on a new book on The Inklings, C.S. Lewis's circle of friends in Oxford.
We’ll also be considering a wide range of other biblical, theological, and practical questions, such as:
- What does it mean to be friends with God? How should this affect our friendships with each other?
- How has friendship been affected by technology, and by social media?
- How should friendships develop appropriately between different people – old and young, male and female, introvert and extrovert?
- Is there a helpful context for conflict in friendships? What about secrecy?
- How should we seek to handle feelings that threaten friendship, such as betrayal, envy, rivalry, anger?
Other speakers: David Field, Steve Hayhow and Steve Jeffery.
Date: Saturday 28 June 2014
Venue: The Welsh Chapel, Freston Gardens, Cockfosters, London, EN4 9LY (view map)
Plenty of on-street car parking is available. Nearest tube station is Cockfosters (Piccadilly Line), about 7 minutes' walk away. Step-free access is available at the venue; please contact us for details.
10:00 Conference begins
12:30 Lunch (bring your own)
1:30 Conference continues
4:00 Conference ends
Cost: Families £25, Individuals £15, Concessions £10. Please pay in cash on the door.
Booking: To book, email or fill in the form below.
Food: Tea and coffee will be provided before the conference and during the morning and afternoon breaks. Lunch is not provided; food can be purchased from shops nearby.